The Example You Set
In my experience the best leaders are not the most talented or gifted, they have established outstanding leadership and performance habits.
They have turned self-responsibility into a daily practice, performance habits that compound over time to establish their personal leadership mastery.
At designCEO, we teach a system that is focused on high-performance leadership habits to enable leaders to establish their daily practice of leadership excellence.
High performance ambitions require high performance habits.
The designCEO offering builds on the core philosophy that people, teams and organisations do not rise to the level of their ambition, they fall to the standard of their systems.
And what is the most critical system?
It is your talent system, the right people in the right roles, starting with your leaders.
It’s for this reason the designCEO facilitated programs and mentoring utilise performance frameworks and methodologies heavily influenced by elite sport, ensuring commitment and accountability to a team-based ethos. We teach a system that develops leadership, on the basis that leaders beget leaders.
- Are committed learners. Take responsibility for their personal development in the context of the team/organisation.
- Consistently set high expectations of themselves and behave to those expectations. They do the right thing, even when it’s hard.
- Have high functional capability. Know their role, play their role, as leaders and technicians.
Understand that it not just what they bring to the team, it is what they are prepared to do for the team that counts.
- Having achieved this, they embrace the notion of leader as teacher, understanding their influence, honouring their leadership role by coaching and mentoring self-responsibility.
Simply, a winning organisation is an environment of personal and professional development, in which each individual takes responsibility and shares ownership, knowing better people make better leaders and leaders create leaders.
For organisations with high-performance ambitions, or seeking turnaround, it will be the aggregation of marginal gains that will be the key to transformation.
It is a longer game, perhaps a little less glamorous than some of the folklore stories of business and sport.
I always enjoy the opportunity to talk all things culture and high-performance, and the development of leaders to achieve it.
Here are three ways to start the ball rolling:
- I teach and coach an integrated leadership performance system utilising sophisticated learning models and systems garnered from elite team sport, ideal for leaders who are committed learners, who understand the responsibility of leadership. To learn more, please arrange your FOC 30-minute leadership telephone consult to discuss your personal, team or organisational challenges or aspirations, please use this link.
- Participate in our next one-day Leadership Masterclass which I personally facilitate. It is a sophisticated, intimate and practical leadership intensive for aspirational leaders, both current and emerging. To learn more, and to register, please use this link.
- Sign up for the “More to the Game” weekly email, and receive a copy of my “What business can learn from football” White Paper. The emails are short leadership reflections, no more than a couple of minutes to read and we will always treat our communication with respect. Please use this link.
You can also contact me at cameron@designCEO.com.au and let me know how you think we can work together.
CEO & Founder
But we do not rise to the level of our ambition, we fall to the level of our capability, and leadership insight is critical. We will not achieve this understanding by “working harder”, it is achieved by “thinking harder”.read more
Discipline, like goals, is overrated. It is likely to help in the short term, but is unlikely to be a long-term solution. Motivation wanes for many reasons, human nature takes over, and momentum is lost.read more
To be a teacher, you must be a learner, the mindset to embrace the discomfort and ambiguity of taking yourself beyond the limits of your understanding, but with the view “It is not what I learn today, it is what I will teach tomorrow that is important”.read more
We are based at Work Club
Level 2, 287 Collins Street,
Melbourne, Vic. 3000.
+61(0)411 860 931